What is PAN-Aadhar Linking Process?
Linking your Aadhaar number with your PAN card is essential before the deadline of 30th June 2023. Your PAN card will become inactive on July 1, 2023, if you do not link them. All PAN card holders must finish the PAN-Aadhaar linking process before the cutoff date in order to prevent this. However, if you miss the deadline, you can still link them by paying a late penalty of Rs. 1,000.
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identification number issued to Indian citizens by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). It includes vital information about the cardholder, including contact details and biometric data that is kept in a database by the government.
How Can I Verify if My Aadhaar Is Already Linked to My PAN Card?
The steps below can be used to determine whether your PAN card and Aadhaar are linked:
- Go to the Income Tax e-filing website and choose "Link Aadhaar Status" from the list of quick links.
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar numbers into the fields provided, then click "View Link Aadhaar Status."
You will see a pop-up message if the PAN and Aadhaar are not linked. To link them, you can do so by following the instructions. You can proceed with your Income Tax filing if they are already linked.
How Can I Link My PAN Card To My Aadhaar?
In order to link your PAN and Aadhaar, take the following two actions:
- Paying the fee for the AY 2023–24.
- Submitting the request for an Aadhaar-PAN link.
I. Paying the fee for the AY 2023–24
- Go to the Income Tax e-Filing Portal and select "e-Pay Tax" from the list of "Quick Links."
- Enter your PAN number, mobile number, and proceed with the payment process.
- After OTP verification, you will be taken to the e-Pay Tax page. Simply press the "Continue" button.
- Under the "Income Tax" tab, click the "Proceed" button.
- Click the "Continue" button after selecting "Assessment Year: 2023–24" and "Type of Payment (Minor Head): Other Receipts (500)".
The appropriate amount will already be entered under the "Others" option. Make the payment by selecting "Continue" from the menu.
On the income tax e-filing portal, you have the option of paying the late penalty using net banking, a debit card, cash, NEFT/RTGS, or a payment gateway. However, if you have a bank account with one of the authorized banks listed below, you can pay the fine using the payment gateway option.
- Axis Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of India
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Canara Bank
- Central Bank of India
- City Union Bank
- Federal Bank
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
- IDBI Bank
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Jammu & Kashmir Bank
- Karur Vysya Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Punjab & Sind Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- RBL Bank
- South Indian Bank
- State Bank of India
- UCO Bank
- Union Bank of India
Link your PAN and Aadhaar card as soon as you have completed the payment.
II. Submitting the Aadhaar-PAN link request
Go to the income tax e-filing website and click the "Link Aadhaar" tab.
Enter your name, mobile number, and PAN and Aadhaar numbers.
To finish the linking process, verify the OTP that was sent to your mobile number.
Additionally, you can use SMS or your income tax e-filing account to connect your PAN and Aadhaar. If you come across any error messages while performing the process, resolve them by following the directions given.
To Link Them Online:
- Visit the Income Tax e-filing website and select "Link Aadhaar."
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number, then validate your details.
- Select "Link Aadhaar" after entering your name exactly as it appears on your Aadhaar card and your mobile number.
- Enter the OTP that was sent to your mobile phone and press the 'Validate' button.
- The UIDAI will be notified of the request for PAN Aadhaar linking for verification.
- If you face an error related to an existing e-return Intermediary, you can deactivate it and proceed with the linking process.
To Link Them via SMS:
- Send an SMS to 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number in this format: UIDPAN <12-digit Aadhaar> <10-digit PAN>. For example, UIDPAN 123456789123 AKPLM2124M.
- Ensure that you complete the PAN-Aadhaar linking process before the deadline to avoid any inconvenience and keep your PAN card active.
What Are the Documents Required for PAN-Aadhar Linking?
- PAN Card
- Aadhar Card
- The active Mobile number linked with your Aadhar
Why It is Mandatory to Link My PAN Card With Aadhar?
The Central Government made it compulsory to link your PAN card with your Aadhar. To avoid the abuse of multiple PAN cards, it is necessary to link your PAN card to your Aadhaar card. When a person has more than one PAN card, it becomes difficult to calculate and collect taxes accurately. Additionally, it becomes more challenging for the authorities to uncover tax evasion.
The government wants to improve tax compliance and lower instances of tax evasion in India by making the linking of PAN and Aadhaar mandatory.
What Will Happen if My PAN Card Is Not Linked to My Aadhar?
If you do not link your PAN card to your Aadhaar card by June 30, 2023, you may face the following consequences.
- Your PAN card will become inoperative until it is linked with your Aadhaar card.
- You cannot file ITRs or submit ITR claims if your PAN cards are invalid.
- The pending refunds will not be given to PAN cards that are not functional, and the pending returns will not be processed either.
- TCS (Tax Collected at Source) and TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) deductions will be made at a higher rate.
- TCS/TDS certificates will not be available, and the TCS/TDS credit will not show up on Form 26AS.
- You will be unable to trade on the National Stock Exchange (NSE) or the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
- It will not be possible to open a new bank account.
- Fixed deposits (FDs) greater than Rs. 50,000 cannot be booked by depositors.
- The Unitholders cannot purchase Mutual Funds units of more than Rs. 50,000.
- It will not be possible for you to get new debit or credit cards.
- Mutual fund redemptions by investors will not be possible.
- A time deposit over Rs. 50,000 or totalling more than Rs. 2,50,000 over the course of a financial year with banks, Nidhi, non-banking financial corporations (NBFCs), etc. can not be purchased.
- Paying for one or more prepaid payment instruments, as defined by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), with bank drafts, pay orders, or banker's checks totalling more than Rs. 50,000 in a fiscal year will not be possible.
- Selling or buying goods or services for more than Rs. 2,000,000 in a single transaction will not be possible.
It is essential to link your PAN card and your Aadhaar card before the deadline in order to prevent these problems. The PAN can be made operational again in 30 days after informing the required authority of the Aadhaar number and paying a fee of Rs. 1,000.
Who Is Exempt From the PAN-Aadhar Linkage?
The exempt category of people is exempt from linking PAN-Aadhaar by June 30, 2023. Following is a list of the exempt categories.
- Individuals living in Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, and Meghalaya.
- A non-resident taxpayer under the 1961 Income-tax Act.
- Individuals over the age of 80 (super senior citizens).
- Individuals who do not hold Indian citizenship.