India’s Goods and Service Tax (GST) portal is an official website hosted on https://www.gst.gov.in/. The GST portal provides various services through which all the compliance activities related to Goods and Services Tax (GST) are undertaken by different entities. It offers different types of services related to GST like the Goods and Service Tax registration, payments of taxes. It also provides many relevant services such as searching of HSN code, locating the
GST practitioner, filing of return and applying for a refund, etc. can be undertaken through the GST login Portal.
How to register on the GST portal?
- Visit the website gst.gov.in and make an application for registration under the GST.
- On submission of all the required details and documents, an acknowledgment number would be generated.
- After completion of the process of verification and on satisfaction, the GST officer allots the Goods and Service Tax Identification Number (GSTIN) and the process of registration gets completed. In this process, you will be provided a username and you can set a password of your choice for the GST portal login.
How to log in to the GST portal?
The GST Portal mainly works with two types of Users that is:
- Existing Users
- New Users
Here is a complete guide to the new GST portal:
In case of Existing Users
- Visit the web address www.gst.gov.in and select the Login icon appearing on the top right corner of the homepage.
- Enter your username, password, and captcha code generated, and then click on “Log in”.
- On successful “GST Login” you will be redirected to your dashboard on the GST portal. You can view the ledger balances of GST input tax credits that you have accumulated and the liability of tax in their respective heads: Electronic Liability Register, Electronic Cash Ledger, and Electronic credit Ledger. Also, two tabs available on the screen are the “FILE RETURNS” tab and the “PAY TAX” tab. The dashboard also indicates the Annual Aggregate Turnover (AATO) and notices or orders procured from the GST department.
In case of New Users
- Click on www.gst.gov.in and then click on the Login icon displayed on the top right corner of the home page.
- Reach at the end of the page on the right-hand side and then click on the word here in the instructions given at the bottom of the page that states, “First time login: If you are logging in for the first time, click here to login”.
- Enter the allotted provisional ID / GSTIN / Unique Identification Number (UIN) and password that were received at your e-mail address. Also, mention the captcha that got generated and click on the Login tab.
- You will be redirected to the new credentials page. Then Input the username and password of your choice if available. Re-confirm the password again and then click on the Submit tab.
- On successful creation of the username and the password would be created. You can now successfully login into the GST Portal using these credentials created.
- Whenever you login into the GST Portal for the first time, you will be required to file an amendment application to submit the details of your Bank accounts. Then click on the FILE AMENDMENT tab.
- The application form would be available for editing, displayed on the screen. The non-core elements would be available for editing in the FORM. Edit the details in the bank accounts column by clicking the ADD NEW option button and then SUBMIT the application.
Services available on the GST Portal
- Application for Registration as a Normal Taxpayer, a Casual Dealer, and an Input Service Distributor,
- Application for appointment of GST Practitioner or as GST Practitioner,
- Application for Opting for Composition Scheme,
- Application for Stock intimation for the Composition Scheme Dealers,
- Application for Opting out of Composition Scheme System,
- Filing of the Goods and Service Tax (GST) Returns,
- Payment of GST-CGST / SGST or UTGST / IGST,
- Claiming of Refund of excess GST paid earlier,
- Furnishing of the Letter of Undertaking,
- Facility to view E-Ledgers,
- Filing of Annual Return of GST,
- Application for Filing of the Reconciliation Statement
Who should get registered on the GST Portal?
- As per the GST Act, the following lists of individuals are essentially required to be registered on the GST Login Portal:
- Individuals who had been previously registered, under the different taxation regimes systems such as VAT, Excise Duty, Service Tax, etc. before the introduction of GST.
- All eCommerce aggregators require registration.
- Businesses across India that have an annual turnover of more than Rs.40 lakhs and above in case of the exclusive supply of goods and Rs 20 lakhs in case of the supply of both goods and services.
- Businesses in North-Eastern India, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura with an annual turnover of more than Rs.10 lakhs.
- Businesses located in North-Eastern India, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Meghalaya, Uttarakhand, Puducherry, and Telangana with an annual turnover of more than Rs.20 lakhs.
- The Input service distributors (ISD) and Agents of suppliers.
- Taxable Non- Residents and the Casual taxable person.
- Individuals who are required to pay tax under the reverse charge mechanism (RCM) and so on.
How to track registration application status?
- Visit www.gst.gov.in, GST official website.
- Under the SERVICES tab, select the REGISTRATION tab and then select on TRACK APPLICATION STATUS.
- Select the ARN and input the ARN number and click on the SEARCH tab.
- Then kindly go through the instructions to view the current status of your application for registration.
How to file for cancellation of GST registration in Portal?
- Visit www.gst.gov.in, the official website of GST.
- Click on LOGIN and enter your User ID and Password to sign in.
- Click on the SERVICES tab, thereafter click on the REGISTRATION tab, and then select APPLICATION FOR CANCELLATION OF REGISTRATION.
- Provide your official address and proceed with SAVE AND PROCEED OPTION.
- Select the reason for the cancellation of your GST registration and then click on SAVE and PROCEED.
- Cross-check the verification statement and provide the relevant details as required to be furnished. Verify your details using your Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) or the EVC option.
- Once the form gets submitted, the applicant will receive the generated ARN number. You can keep it for future reference and communication.