From 21 August 2020, businesses can get new GST registrations
by authenticating their AADHAAR
. When registration is through the AADHAAR
authentication mode, businesses can expect to get registered within three working days, if no notice is issued. This facility will enhance the idea about ‘Ease of doing Businesses’
How to Obtain GST Registration Using AADHAAR Authentication?
The steps for AADHAAR authentication to get new GST registration are:
Click on ‘Services’ from the options in the top panel for the drop-down. Choose Registration
from the ‘New Registration’ option.
In the application, fill all the necessary details, click on proceed and then choose the option to authenticate AADHAAR.
If you say Yes above, an authentication link will be shared on the mobile number and e-mail ID furnished in the application.
When you click on the verification link, a new window for AADHAAR validation will be prompted. Here you need to enter the AADHAAR number. Post this; an OTP will be sent the mobile number linked with the AADHAAR.
Enter the received OTP and complete the authentication process.
In case if you want to access the AADHAAR authentication link sometime later, you need to navigate to ‘My Saved Application’ and then click on the ‘AADHAAR Authentication Status’. From here, you can choose to resend the verification link.
After the process is completed, a message about successful e-KYC authentication will appear on the screen.
Important Points to Note
- The AADHAAR authentication process is introduced for all type of taxpayers applying for GST registration in Form GST REG 01.
- GST registration will be deemed approved within three working days in case of successful authentication of AADHAAR.
- If Aadhaar authentication fails, registration shall be granted only after physical verification of the place of business.
- In case there has been an authentication error, but no show cause notice is issued within 21 days by a GST authority, registration will be deemed approved.
- GST officers can issue show cause notice within the period specified for approving registration:
- In cases of successful AADHAAR authentication, within three working days,
- In cases when taxpayers do not provide AADHAAR or when Aadhar authentication fails, within 21 working days.
Applicants can submit their reply within seven working days from the issue of show cause notice.
- Taxpayers already registered on GST portal and NRIs are not required to undergo the AADHAAR authentication process.