Amendment of invoice in GST
Invoice is an important part of the GST ecosystem as it contains all the important information such as HSN/SAC Code, GST amount, quantity and so forth. It is normal to face a situation where an invoice has been wrongly issued, or where you need to Revised Tax Invoice in GST. All such gst revision of the tax invoice has to be reported in the monthly GST Return.
However, at the time of revising the tax invoice in gst, you need to follow the rules that are prescribed under the GST Act.
Format of Revised Invoice under GST
Here are the rules that you need to follow at the time of amendment of invoice in GST.
- Revised Tax Invoice under GST shall be written prominently on the invoice.
- Supplier’s Name and address
- GSTIN of the supplier
- Consecutive serial number not exceeding 16 characters (containing alphabets, number, and other special characters)
- Document Nature
- Invoice Issue Date
- Recipient’s name and address
- In the case of registered recipient GSTIN or UIN
- In case of unregistered recipient delivery address along with state name and code
- Corresponding tax invoice and serial number or Bill of Supply, as the case may be
- The taxable amount of goods or services, tax rate and tax amount credited or debited to the recipient, as the case may be.
- DSC of the supplier or his authorized representative.
Supplementary Tax Invoice
According to the GST Act, In case when the tax amount in a tax invoice is undercharged during the supply of goods or services or both then the taxpayer needs to issue a revised tax invoice in GST or supplementary tax invoice to state the remaining tax amount. Debit note is one such example of a supplementary tax invoice under GST. A debit note is issued by a taxpayer when the tax charged in a tax invoice is less than the taxable value or tax payable for the supply.
The supplementary invoice in GST details shall be adjusted in the revised return under GST of the month in which it is issued, subject to the rules as may be prescribed. For instance, if the taxpayer issued a debit note to Mr. X on 15 September then details of such debit notes shall be incorporated in that particular month’s return in revised invoice copy.
Difference between Debit Note, Credit Note, and GST Revised Invoice
|Particulars||Debit Note||Credit Note||Revised Invoice (Revised Bill)|
|When to issue?||It is issued when the buyer returns the goods to the seller.||It is issued when a seller gets the returned goods from the buyer||It is issued when there is a discrepancy or mistake in the issued invoice|
|Amount Shown (Positive/Negative)||The amount is in positive||It shows the amount in negative||The amount can be in both negative or positive in the revised GST invoice|
|Sales Returns account…Dr
To Debtor’s account…Cr.
To Goods Returned account…Cr.
|Sales Returns accounts…Dr.
To Debtor’s account…Cr.