List of State Code Under GST
Under GST, a state and union territories are represented using GST State Code List. The GST State Code list is in numerical form such as the state code for Delhi is 07, in a similar way for Uttar Pradesh it is 09 and so forth.
There could be a spelling error in writing alphabetic state code in GST Invoice & GST Return data which may cause problem in processing invoice & finding correct GST liabilities & also in filing GST Return but if codes are small & fixed so there are less chances of mistakes in mentioning state through such codes. In GST, the government has provided a list of numerical state code of every state.
Where we need State Code in GST?
In GST state code is used in:
- GST Identification Number (GSTIN) &
- in identifying “Place of Supply”
- GSTIN starts with state code; first 2 digits are state code for example in GSTIN 08AAEPM0111C1Z8 starting 2 digit “08” is state code of Rajasthan.
- “Place of Supply” is required to find whether IGST will be charged or CGST & SGST will be charged. If Supplier State Code & “Place of Supply” State code is different than IGST will be charged & if Supplier state code & Place of Supply state code is same than CGST & SGST will be charged.
- Supplier State code is “08” and place of supply is “09” then IGST will be charged in invoice.
- Supplier State code is “08” and place of supply is also “08” then CGST & SGST will be charged in invoice.
In GST Invoice under place of supply field state code is mentioned. Supplier & buyer state code is identified from first two digits of their GSTIN and accordingly IGST or CGST & SGST/UTGST are charged.
Here is the List of State Code under GST:
GST State Code
JAMMU AND KASHMIR
DAMAN AND DIU
DADRA AND NAGAR HAVELI
ANDHRA PRADESH (old)
ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLANDS
ANDHRA PRADESH (NEW)
Know Your GST Jurisdiction
GST Jurisdiction is needed by a person at the time of registering under GST as he has to mention the details regarding the State, Zone, Division and Range.
So to check GST Jurisdiction a taxpayer has to visit CBEC GST: Know Your Jurisdiction
Afterwards, he needs to select your state, zone, division and range.