The National Informatics Centre (NIC) is an office established by the Government of India in 1976 to drive technology and e-governance initiatives in the nation. It provides the infrastructure needed to support the delivery of government IT services and some initiatives of the ‘Digital India’ campaign. To add, NIC has been an active catalyst and facilitator in the ‘informatics-led-development’ program of the government. Functions of National Informatics Centre under the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology.
The primary objective of NIC (National Informatics Centre) is to set up, implement and support all the IT-led programs of both central and state governments, including other government organizations. The other goals of NIC are:
National Informatics Centre (NIC) provides the following services to central & state governments, union territory administrations, districts and other government bodies. The aim is to walk toward a Digital Nation.
1. Government Local Area Network (LAN) This service helps in connecting various government departments located across states and territories.
2. Video Conferencing This feature boosts productivity, saves time, and money because it helps in monitoring various government projects, schemes and public grievances. Moreover, monitoring of law and order, hearings of RTI cases, distance education, telemedicine, monitoring of election processes, and so on is also possible.
3. National Knowledge Network (NKN) National Knowledge Network (NKN) aims to establish a Multi-Gigabyte-PAN India-Network that will connect the majority of the knowledge Institutions to create a knowledge society without boundaries.
4. Messaging This portal helps in creating a @gov.in mail account for government employees. To add, users can send emails, SMS and like though this application.
5. Remote sensing and GIS NIC (National Informatics Centre) has created a multi-layer GIS platform named ‘Bharat Maps’ that is an integrated map service showing administrative boundaries, transport layers (like road and railways), forest layers, terrains, etc. Find my Bank is one of the noteworthy features here.
Image Source: http://findmybank.gov.in/FMB/
6. Webcast With the advent of high end streaming media technology, the concept of doing live/on-demand webcasts has gained popularity. Seeking this as an opportunity, NIC has launched webcast services. This platform is a turnkey solution for any event. Bringing onsite production and hosting, & streaming for millions of online viewers with flawless production quality is the advantage here.
7. Domain Registration Using this service, government organisations can get domain names under. GOV.IN as per the guidelines. Along with this, users can easily find out domain information, register the available domain names (including sub-domain name registration), and manage the registered names too.
8. National Cloud NIC Cloud Services include different service models such as
This service helps users to host their websites, portals and web applications with speed and scalability. Storage, load balancing, antivirus, resource monitoring, chatbots and much more is possible here.
9. Command and Control Centre This centre aim to have a nationwide view of the ICT infrastructure to monitor the performances of all critical government services effectively.
10. What is NICNET? NICNET is an attempt to establish a pan India communication network using which government offices located in various places can interact with each other.
11. Data Centre This centre works as the core of the e-Governance Infrastructure in India and is responsible for managing and processing all e-governance related data.
12. Security Cyber-security services introduced by NIC (National Informatics Centre) facilitate a safe and secure cyberspace environment for the users. Timely information about cyber threat along with advisory and list of best practice help to proactively ward off malicious attacks or threats. To know about the projects undertaken by the NIC, read here: https://www.mastersindia.co/blog/nic-projects/
Disclaimer: The content in this article is sourced from https://www.nic.in/ and simplified for understanding purposes only.
😄Hello. Welcome to Masters India! I'm here to answer any questions you might have about Masters India Products & APIs. What brings you to our website today?
E-Way Bill Software
BOE TO Excel Conversion
Accounts Payable Software
Invoice OCR Software/APIs
GST Verification API
E-Way Bill API
KSA E-Invoice APIs
Vendor Verification API