Government of India launched an ESI scheme with a motive to support the employee or his family at the time of distress resulting in sickness, disablement or death of an employee due to employee injuries. This ESI scheme is administered by the ESIC (Employees’ State Insurance Corporation) that is a statutory body formed under the ESI Act 1948.
ESIC Portal provides offers various services such as:
- Employers and employees Registration
- Temporary Identification Card (TIC) Issuance
- Online payment of employers’ ESI contribution
- Challan generation for contribution
- Cash benefit payment at Branch offices
- Hospitals medical care facilities covered
- Online public grievance
Moreover, the information in the ESIC Portal can be converted into two languages Hindi and English. ESIC has currently two operational websites https://www.esic.nic.in/ and Service Website http://www.esic.in.
It is mandatory for an employer to get registered within 15 days online www.esic.in who becomes coverable under the ESI Act 1948.
After successfully registering on the ESIC Portal the employer will get a 17 digit code. An employer need not generate a separate code for different branches located in India but has to generate sub-codes.
Note: Sub-codes is for those branches that do not fall under the jurisdiction of the regional or sub-regional office of the main office.
The employer can log into the ESIC Portal using the 17 digit code and can register his employees. However, it shall be noted that at the time of first employment the employee has to register under ESI Scheme all by himself using his personal details including his family member details, permanent address and temporary address (if any) etc. Once all the registration procedure is completed the employee gets a unique insurance number valid throughout the life irrespective of any job switch or change. In addition to this, after registering the employee gets TIC (Temporary Identity Card) that is valid for 3 months within which he has to apply for the PEHCHAN Card.
Here is the consolidated summary of the registration procedure explained via screenshots:
- Once you click on the sign-up button you will be redirected to a new page showing the following details mentioned in the below snapshot.
- After furnishing all the correct details you will be successfully registered under ESIC Portal.
- The employee or insured person can log into the esic.in/employeeportal/login.aspx using their insurance number as user ID, once you are done with the registration. After they log into the ESIC portal he can determine the total contribution paid by him and his employer along with other benefits entitled under ESIC etc.
The ESIC is applicable to all those establishment and factories that fall under ESI Act having ten or more employees. Currently, the wage limit for ESIC applicability is 21,000 INR. Under the ESI scheme, the insured person or his family member get both cash and non-cash benefits. Some of the common examples of cash benefits are Sickness, Disablement, Maternity, Funeral expenses.
The government has reduced/revised the ESI contribution rate for both employee and employers applicable with effect from 1st July 2019. Let us understand the difference between old and the revised rate of ESIC contribution through the below table:
|ESIC Contribution||Previous Rate of contribution (%)||Revised Rate of contribution (%)|
|Total ESI Contribution||6.5||4|