are required to be generated whenever a consignment carrying taxable goods worth Rs. 50,000 or more is being transported from one place to another. The conveyance for such transportation usually includes one vehicle. However, there are cases where more than one vehicle is used for transportation of one consignment. This article will discuss the various cases in which multi vehicle e way bill
option is used and how it can be update vehicle in e-way bill portal. Vahan System provides a nationwide search over the digitized data of Registered Vehicles. Therefore, for checking whether vehicle number is available in Vahan system or not, one can always check the vehicle number in Vahan system below; https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/faces/user/searchstatus.xhtml
and check e way bill by vehicle number
. And e way bill tracking is also possible.
1. What is Multi-Vehicle Option?
Multi-vehicle option is an option introduced in the e-way bill where change in vehicle for transportation of one shipment can be updated in the e-way bill.the supplier sends the e way bill for multiple consignment to the transporter’s warehouse from which it is distributed through different vehicles to different destinationsThis ‘Update Multi-Vehicle’ feature was much-needed by transporters who earlier had to generate a new e-way bill
for change in every vehicle used for transportation of one consignment. The multi-vehicle option is not available from the consignor’s place, but instead from the place of transshipment. It has helped transporters in updating vehicle details in the same e-way bill without creating new delivery challans or invoices.
The number of groups required to be created on the e-way bill portal will be equal to the number of ultimate destinations to which the consignment is being transported. E way bill vehicle number format / eway bill vehicle number format The first two letters indicate the state to which the vehicle is registered.
➢ The next two digit numbers are the sequential number of a district. Due to heavy volume of vehicle registration, the numbers were given to the RTO offices of registration as well.
➢ The third part is a 4 digit number unique to each plate.
How to generate e way bill for multiple vehicles in single invoice ?
The supplier will issue a complete invoice prior to the initial consignment
The supplier will issue different delivery challans for each load (rotor blade, shaft and generator - hence 3 DC in this case) referring to the invoice.
A separate Eway Bill will be generated for each load i.e. rotor blade, shaft and generator (therefore 3 E E bills will be generated by 3 delivery challans)
An original copy of the invoice will be sent along with the final consignment
The person in charge of the delivery will carry the Delivery challan, a copy of the duly certified original invoice and the appropriate Eway bill.
2. Scenarios when Multiple Vehicles can be Used
There are two cases when the requirement for multiple vehicles for delivery of one consignment may arise:
- For a Single Destination: It may so happen that goods have to be transported from location A to location B but there may not be one conveyance available for the same. Here the transportation may first be possible through a truck, then through a train, and then through smaller trucks. This may occur due to reasons like unfavorable terrains or to reduce time consumed in transportation or other reasons. The place of change of vehicles will be the place of transshipment. This transportation may later split into vehicles and the information related to the same may be updated in the e-way bill generated at the point of ultimate origin.
- For Multiple Destinations: Usually, the supplier sends the e way bill for multiple consignment to the transporter’s warehouse from which it is distributed through different vehicles to different destinations. However, upon reaching the warehouse of transporter, the e-way bill must be updated with the remaining details of the vehicles:
- The e-way bill must be generated before transporting goods to from supplier’s factory to transporter’s warehouse.
- Multi-vehicle details must be updated when goods are dispatched from transporter’s warehouse for distribution to multiple destinations. Details of all the vehicles used for transportation and their destinations must be updated in the e-way bill.
The number of groups required to be created on the e-way bill portal will be equal to the number of ultimate destinations to which the consignment is being transported.
3. Procedure for Updating Multi-Vehicle on E-way Bill
One can update multiple vehicles in the e-way bill by logging in to the E-way Bill Portal, and following these steps:
Step 1: Click on ‘Change to Multivehicle’ option in the e-way bill Menu. Enter your e-way bill number and click on ‘Go’.
Step 2: Create a group to enter transportation details like the destination and mode of transportation (road, air, rail, water).
Step 3: In ‘do you wish to move goods in multiple vehicles?’ option, select ‘Yes’. The multi-vehicle movement option will appear as below:
Step 4: Fill in the details of origin in ‘From Place’ and destination in ‘To Place’. Enter the ‘Total Quantity’ of original consignment and its ‘Unit’ of measurement as per the invoice. Select the ‘Reason’ for using multi-vehicle option, like transshipment or moving goods in smaller vehicles, etc. then enter the ‘Remarks’ for creation of group to update details of multiple vehicles in the e-way bill.
Step 5: After entering the e-way bill number, click on ‘Go’. The created groups will appear in the drop-down option from where they can be selected in which the vehicle details have to be updated.
Step 6: One these details are submitted, the groups will be saved. Vehicle details can be updated in each one of these groups once the goods reach the place of transshipment.
Step 7: Update Part-B of the e-way bill under ‘Change to multiple vehicle’ option. All groups created earlier should be updated with their destination groups. For multiple destinations, Part-B of groups for their respective destinations must be updated one-by-one.
Step 8: Enter vehicle details in Part-B of all groups selected and include transporter document number and the quantity of goods being transported in that vehicle.
Step 9: After updating the e-way bill with multiple vehicle details, submit the changes. The updates will be generated and the Part-A and Part-B of the e-way bill slip will appear on the screen. Ensure that the validity of the e-way bill in ‘Valid Until’ section includes the phrase ‘Multi-Vehicle’ in it.
You can print this e-way bill by clicking on ‘Print’ or for a detailed e-way bill you can click on ‘Detailed Print’.