Transferring closing balance credit of KKC and education cess to GST
In this article, we will understand that whether Transfer of credits of cesses such as Education Cess, Secondary and Higher Education Cess, Swatch Bharat Cess and Krishi Kalyan Cess are allowed or not as per the transitional provisions?
The expression “eligible duties and taxes” means-
- the duty of excise specified in the First Schedule to the Central Excise Tariff Act, 1985
- the duty of excise specified in the Second Schedule to the Central Excise Tariff Act, 1985(5 of 1986);
- the service tax leviable under section 66B of the Finance Act, 1994 in respect of inputs held in stock and inputs contained in semi-finished or finished goods held in stock on the appointed day.”
The list of items does not include cesses viz. education cess, secondary higher education cess, krishi kalyan cess that are allowed to be taken as CENVAT Credit under current regime.
The Transitional provisions under the CGST Act allow carryover of only the Cenvat Credit and Credit of eligible duties mentioned in the explanations given at the end of section 140. Education Cess & Secondary and Higher Education Cess are not mentioned there. Therefore these will not be carried forward as credit of these cesses is not allowed under GST.
Swatch Bharat Cess(SBC) and Krishi Kalyan Cess will not be eligible for carry forward to GST regime as credit of these cesses is not allowed under GST. The cesses will also not be leviable under GST to the extent they are levied as duties of excise (except on excluded items) or Service Tax or as a surcharge.
Thus, to conclude we come to the point that credits of cesses such as Education Cess, Secondary and Higher Education Cess, Swatch Bharat Cess and Krishi Kalyan Cess are not eligible for TRANS-1.
- All about DSC Registration on GST Portal - November 21, 2018
- Pros and Cons of the GST Composition Scheme - November 20, 2018
- E-Way Bill Digital Copy Sufficient for Transportation under GST - November 20, 2018
- How to Verify a Fake GST Identification Number Easily? - November 15, 2018
- Udyog Aadhaar Registration Guide - November 13, 2018
- UAN – Know About Universal Account Number - November 13, 2018
- CGST, SGST, IGST and UGST – Meaning, Apportionment and Method of Payment - November 13, 2018
- HSN Code and GST Rate for Vegetables - November 13, 2018
- HSN Code and GST Rate for Non Edible Animal Products - November 13, 2018
- Applied For A Pan Card? Here’s How to Know Your Application Status Online - November 12, 2018