A registered GST Practitioner can be hired by a taxpayer to file his or her return. However, to register as a GST Practitioner you need to follow the guidelines prescribed in Section 48 of the CGST Act. This section of the CGST Acts deals with the different aspects related to the GST practitioner such as eligibility, conditions and the process of registration.
Pre-requisites for register as a GST Practitioner
Here is the list of pre-requisites that needs to be fulfilled to register as a GST Practitioner:
- He or She should be an Indian Citizen.
- He or She should have a sound mind.
- He or She should not be declared as an insolvent.
- He or She should not be convicted of an offense with imprisonment of more than 2 years.
People who are eligible to register as a GST Practitioner
Here is the list of people who are eligible to register as a GST Practitioner:
- Any Group-B retired gazetted officer of the Commercial Tax Department of any State or of the CBEC who has worked for a minimum period of 2 years
- A Tax Practitioner of old indirect tax regime who remained registered for a period not less than 5 years.
- Any Commerce, Law, Business Administration or Management Graduate or Post Graduate
- Any CA (Chartered Accountant), CWA (Cost & Work Accountant) or CS (Company Secretary).
Key Responsibility Areas of a GST Practitioner
Here is the list of key responsibility areas of GST practitioners when they are hired:
(a) Furnishing all Monthly or Quarterly GST Returns
(b) Furnishing Annual GST Returns
(c) Depositing credit into the electronic cash ledger
(d) Filing refund application and claiming refund but after asking from the client.
(e) Filing application for amendment or cancellation of GST registration post taking confirmation from the client.
(f) Appearing as an Authorized Representative (AR) on behalf of his or her client.
How to register as a GST Practitioner?
Step 1 – Open GST Portal www.gst.gov.in
Step 2 – Click on services and select the registration option from the pull-down menu bar. After selecting registration to choose New Registration given below it.
Step 3 – You will be redirected to a new page showing New Registrations.
- Select New Registration
- Choose GST Practitioner from the drop-down menu bar.
- Enter details about State, District, Name, PAN, e-mail ID and Phone Number
- Type in the Captcha code
- Select the Proceed button
Step 4 – You will be redirected to a new page wherein you need to enter the 2 different One Time Passwords received on registered mail ID and mobile number. Then click on the Proceed button.
Step 5 – After proceeding a temporary reference number will generate. Save that TRN and click on the proceed button
Step 6 – After clicking on the proceed button you will be redirected to a new page wherein you need to enter the generated TRN and CAPTCHA code. Hit the proceed button once you enter these details.
Step 7 – Post clicking on the proceed button you need to enter the one time password received on your registered mobile number or e-mail id. Afterward, click on the proceed button.
Step 8 – You need to enter all the details along with documents along with details of the place of business. Once you enter all these details you will be redirected to the verification page.
You can verify the application form either by Digital Signature using DSC or e-AADHAAR Verification.
Step 9 – Post verifying your application a success message will pop-up. After 15 days of verification, you will receive an acknowledgment mail on your registered mail ID that you have been registered as a GST Practitioner.