A Quick Guide To Filing of Tran-3
Filing of TRAN-3 is a critical link between the manufacturer and / or the dealer, to ensure the accurate carry forwarding of the taxes in the GST module. The one [manufacturer / dealer] who has received the Credit Transfer Document [CTD] is liable to file TRAN-3.
The article aims to give you an eagle’s eye view about everything around TRAN-3:
In order to avail the transitional credit of Input Tax Credit, a registered taxpayer should file TRAN-3, as under:
- Central Excise Act 1944
- Using CTD or having issued CTD.
A Credit Transfer Document [CTD] is a form which is issued by a manufacturer as a proof of his Excise Duty payment on goods, which were manufactured and transacted in the pre GST era.
The ownership of the goods must belong to a person, who is registered under GST and not under Central Excise Act.
Following entities or persons are required to file TRAN-3:
- Manufacturers who have issued CTDs to the dealers.
- Dealers who have received CTDs from the manufacturers.
Though the initial deadline for filing TRAN-3 was 60 days from the launch of GST, however to facilitate and ease the taxpayers, the utility is still active at the GST portal.
How to file TRAN-3 on GST Portal (http://gst.gov.in/)?
Here’s how you can file TRAN-3 at the GST portal:
- Log in at the GST portal – http://gst.gov.in/
- Go to Services Returns Transition Forms
- Click on the TRAN-3 tab on the Transition Forms page
- Click on your status of manufacturer or a dealer.
- Click on the “Add Details” button in the ‘To be filled by manufacturer issuing CTDs’ tile.
- Now, fill in the following particulars:
- GSTIN of the dealer to whom CTD is issued
- Total number of CTDs issued
- Number of invoices for which CTD is issued
- Total quantity for which CTD is issued
- Total value of goods for which CTD is issued.
- Recheck the details and then click on Save
- If you are a dealer, wanting to claim ITC based on CTDs issued by the manufacturer, should click on the “To be filled by dealer availing Credit on CTD” tile.
- If you are a dealer and want to carry forward the received credit, fill in the following details. Recheck and click on Save.
- Recheck the details because once submitted they can’t be amended. To submit TRAN-3, click on the Submit button. Electronic ledger also gets updated based on the information filed in TRAN-3.
- Now, click on the “Proceed” button in the Warning Box. Form’s status gets changed to “Submitted” and a success message appears.
- Click on “FILE WITH DSC” or “FILE WITH EVC”, as the case may be.
You will see the status as “Filed”, once the TRAN-3 is successfully received by the server.
The status of your filed TRAN-3 can be checked at Services Returns Track Return Status.
To read more of such articles and industry updates on GST, please click here.