Procedure to Resolve Cases of Wrong GST Paid
This article explains procedure to be followed when wrong tax is paid by registered taxable person. Like IGST paid instead of CGST/SGST or vice versa.
The procedure is very simple, but first its necessary to understand what mistake there can be.
There can be two types of mistakes:-
- Inter-state Supply treated as Intra-state Supply:- IGST shall be paid on Inter state supply but wrongly/mistakenly CGST/SGST is paid, in that case registered taxable person shall pay IGST and take refund of CGST/SGST.
- Intra-state Supply treated as Inter-state Supply:- CGST/SGST shall be paid on Intra-state supply but wrongly/mistakenly IGST is paid, in that case also person should pay CGST/SGST and take Refund of IGST.
Mr X, a registered taxable person in Delhi has sold goods to other person in Gujrat, he shall be liable to charge IGST in his invoice from the customer and shall pay the same to the credit of government but if by mistake charged CGST / SGST then he shall follow refund procedure (Read our article for procedure of refund) for CGST / SGST and pay IGST to the government for this he shall not be charged to any interest or penalty but if tax is collected from customers but not paid to the credit of the government then Interest and penalty proceedings may be initiated (Read our other article for cases when such proceeding may start).
Conclusion:- There is no procedure for adjustment of payment of tax leviable on inter / intra state transactions , one has to go for refund of wrong tax paid and pay the correct tax .
- E-Way Bill under GST in Karnataka - November 21, 2018
- All about DSC Registration on GST Portal - November 21, 2018
- Pros and Cons of the GST Composition Scheme - November 20, 2018
- E-Way Bill Digital Copy Sufficient for Transportation under GST - November 20, 2018
- How to Verify a Fake GST Identification Number Easily? - November 15, 2018
- Udyog Aadhaar Registration Guide - November 13, 2018
- UAN – Know About Universal Account Number - November 13, 2018
- CGST, SGST, IGST and UGST – Meaning, Apportionment and Method of Payment - November 13, 2018
- HSN Code and GST Rate for Vegetables - November 13, 2018
- HSN Code and GST Rate for Non Edible Animal Products - November 13, 2018