Procedure to Resolve Cases of Wrong GST Paid
This article explains procedure to be followed when wrong tax is paid by registered taxable person. Like IGST paid instead of CGST/SGST or vice versa.
The procedure is very simple, but first its necessary to understand what mistake there can be.
There can be two types of mistakes:-
- Inter-state Supply treated as Intra-state Supply:- IGST shall be paid on Inter state supply but wrongly/mistakenly CGST/SGST is paid, in that case registered taxable person shall pay IGST and take refund of CGST/SGST.
- Intra-state Supply treated as Inter-state Supply:- CGST/SGST shall be paid on Intra-state supply but wrongly/mistakenly IGST is paid, in that case also person should pay CGST/SGST and take Refund of IGST.
Mr X, a registered taxable person in Delhi has sold goods to other person in Gujrat, he shall be liable to charge IGST in his invoice from the customer and shall pay the same to the credit of government but if by mistake charged CGST / SGST then he shall follow refund procedure (Read our article for procedure of refund) for CGST / SGST and pay IGST to the government for this he shall not be charged to any interest or penalty but if tax is collected from customers but not paid to the credit of the government then Interest and penalty proceedings may be initiated (Read our other article for cases when such proceeding may start).
Conclusion:- There is no procedure for adjustment of payment of tax leviable on inter / intra state transactions , one has to go for refund of wrong tax paid and pay the correct tax .
- 27th GST Council Meeting – Latest GST Updates - May 4, 2018
- 26th GST Council Meeting – Latest GST Updates - March 10, 2018
- How to manage Masters on E-Way Bill Portal? - February 19, 2018
- Interest Rates Under GST Act - February 16, 2018
- What is Transporter ID in EWay Bill and how to enroll? - February 15, 2018
- List of Goods Exempted from EWay Bill - February 15, 2018
- Learn how to Generate EWay Bill on E-Way Bill Portal? - February 14, 2018
- E-Way Bill: Format, Validity, Generation Process & Rules - February 6, 2018
- What happens when there is a mistake in E-way Bill? - February 3, 2018
- Impact of E-Way Bill on Logistics Industry in India - February 2, 2018