List of State Codes Under GST
For representing a state & union territories in GST there are new numerical state codes for every state & union territories, normally we use alphabetic code like DL, UP, RJ, etc. but in GST state codes are numerical like “07” for Delhi, “09” for Uttar Pradesh, “27” for Maharashtra etc.
There could be a spelling error in writing alphabetic state code in GST Invoice & GST Return data which may cause problem in processing invoice & finding correct GST liabilities & also in filing GST Return but if codes are small & fixed so there are less chances of mistakes in mentioning state through such codes. In GST, the government has provided a list of numerical state codes of every state.
Where we need State Code in GST?
In GST state code is used in:
- GST Identification Number (GSTIN) &
- in identifying “Place of Supply”
- GSTIN starts with state code; first 2 digits are state code for example in GSTIN 08AAEPM0111C1Z8 starting 2 digit “08” is state code of Rajasthan.
- “Place of Supply” is required to find whether IGST will be charged or CGST & SGST will be charged. If Supplier State Code & “Place of Supply” State code is different than IGST will be charged & if Supplier state code & Place of Supply state code is same than CGST & SGST will be charged.
- Supplier State code is “08” and place of supply is “09” then IGST will be charged in invoice.
- Supplier State code is “08” and place of supply is also “08” then CGST & SGST will be charged in invoice.
In GST Invoice under place of supply field state code is mentioned. Supplier & buyer state code is identified from first two digits of their GSTIN and accordingly IGST or CGST & SGST/UTGST are charged.
Here is the list of State Codes under GST:
|State Code||State/Union Terriroty Name||State Code||State/Union Terriroty Name|
|01||JAMMU AND KASHMIR||20||JHARKHAND|
|06||HARYANA||25||DAMAN AND DIU|
|07||DELHI||26||DADRA AND NAGAR HAVELI|
|09||UTTAR PRADESH||28||ANDHRA PRADESH (old)|
|16||TRIPURA||35||ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLANDS|
|18||ASSAM||37||ANDHRA PRADESH (NEW)|
- E-Way Bill under GST in Karnataka - November 21, 2018
- All about DSC Registration on GST Portal - November 21, 2018
- Pros and Cons of the GST Composition Scheme - November 20, 2018
- E-Way Bill Digital Copy Sufficient for Transportation under GST - November 20, 2018
- How to Verify a Fake GST Identification Number Easily? - November 15, 2018
- Udyog Aadhaar Registration Guide - November 13, 2018
- UAN – Know About Universal Account Number - November 13, 2018
- CGST, SGST, IGST and UGST – Meaning, Apportionment and Method of Payment - November 13, 2018
- HSN Code and GST Rate for Vegetables - November 13, 2018
- HSN Code and GST Rate for Non Edible Animal Products - November 13, 2018