GSTN has recently introduced the GSTR-3B Auto-fill facility to auto-populate system computed details in the form GSTR-3B. The system will auto-populate this form based on the details provided by the taxpayers in the Form GSTR-1 and auto-drafted ITC statement GSTR-2B. Initially, the taxpayers had to file three GST return forms: GSTR-1, GSTR-2, and GSTR-3 to comply with the latest GST rules. Filing of these three GST return forms was challenging for the registered taxpayers. Many times, it would temporarily crash due to a server breakdown issue.
What is GSTR-3B?
GSTR-3B is a monthly self-declaration form that every registered taxpayer must file. It is a consolidated summary of the return of inward and outward supplies as per the Government of India. It helps to relax the requirements for businesses registered with GST. Now the small and medium-size businesses do not have to use manual accounting methods for filing returns.
Pre-requisites to file GSTR-3B
The pre-requisites of filing the GSTR-3B are:
- Any business or registered taxpayer liable to file the monthly return form GSTR-1, GSTR-2, and GSTR-3, must submit the GSTR-3B form.
- You can file the GSTR-3B form online through the GSTN portal. You can also make the payment of the tax online or through challans in the bank.
- You will need to have an OTP on the registered mobile number to verify the return. Otherwise, you will need to have the digital signature certificate of class 2 or higher. You may also use Aadhar based e-sign to file your GST returns.
GSTR-3B auto-fill facility
GSTR-3B auto-fill facility has been made available to the taxpayers from the tax period starting from August 2020. The GSTR-3B auto-fill facility is available for all normal taxpayers, SEZ developers, SEZ units, and the casual taxpayers who file monthly GSTR-1. The GSTR-3B auto-fill facility auto-populates the details of the taxpayers from GSTR-1 and GSTR-2B into GSTR-3B. Once the taxpayer files GSTR-1, the PDF of Form GSTR-3B is available on the dashboard of GSTR-3B. It means you will find the auto-generated figures from GSTR-1 and GSTR-2B in the PDF statement of GSTR-3B for August 2020 and after that.
Benefits of auto-generated GSTR-3B
The auto-fill facility of GSTR-3B benefits the taxpayers in the following ways:
- Reduces the errors and mismatch in filing the returns
- Ease the process of reconciliation of GSTR-1 and GSTR-2 with GSTR-3B
- Reduces the time consumed in filing details of GSTR-3B
- Supports the taxpayers in filing GSTR-3B
Steps to generate a system generated GSTR-3B
Following are the steps to generate a system generated GSTR-3B:
- Step 1: The taxpayer has to log in to the GST portal
- Step 2: Select “Returns Dashboard”
- Step 3: Select the option “Return period”
- Step 4: Choose “GSTR-3B”
Now, select “System Generated 3B” to generate a system generated GSTR-3B.
How to edit auto-draft details in GSTR-3B
The taxpayers can edit the details in the auto-filled GSTR-3B. The edited cells get highlighted in red. The Government of India has allowed the resetting of GSTR-3B. Therefore, you can edit the details filled in the return. The entries already posted in the Electronic Liability Register will be deleted. It will change the status of “Submitted” to “Yet to be filed”. It will also reverse the ITC integrated with the Electronic Credit Ledger. However, the taxpayer can avail the editing of auto-draft details in GSTR-3B once only.
Steps to Revise GSTR-3B
If you need to revise GSTR-3B, you have to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Step 1: Login into GST Portal and click on “Return Dashboard”
- Step 2: Now select the year and the month for which you want to rest GSTR-3B
- Step 3: Click on “Prepare Online”
- Step 4: Your status will be “Submitted” as you have already submitted the return. Thus, choose the option “Reset GSTR-3B” as it will be activated.
- Step 5: Click on the “Yes” and “OK” buttons in the dialog box containing warning and reset successfully respectively.
Your status will be changed to “Yet to be filed”. Now make the changes to return and finally submit the form again.
View GSTR- 3B filing status
The taxpayers can also view the filing status of GSTR-3B. It helps them to ensure that the filing of GSTR-3B is complete. The steps to view the status of GSTR-3B filing status are:
- Use credentials for logging into the GST portal.
- You will see the “Returns Dashboard” option on the dashboard, click on that.
- Select the Financial Year and the filing period of the return.
- Click on the “Select” option.
On the screen, you can now view all the relevant GST returns along with their filing status.
Penalty for missing the due date to file GSTR-3B
If the taxpayers miss the due date to file the GSTR-3B, they have to pay late fee as a penalty. The late fees for filing the GSTR-3B are:
- 50 per day for delaying the filing of GSTR-3B
- 20 per day (for the taxpayers having zero tax liability for the month)
In addition to the late fees for filing the GSTR-3B, the taxpayers are also responsible for paying the interest amount at a rate of 18% per annum if the GST amount is unpaid after the due date.
GSTR-3B is an easy and time-saving method to file returns. Earlier, it was time-consuming and complicated as the taxpayers had to fill the GSTR-1, GSTR-2, and GSTR-3 forms for return filing. Now, GSTR-3B has made it easy through the reconciliation of GSTR-1 and GSTR-2. In the previous method of filing, there were no invoice level details. Thus, there were high chances of errors during the computation of the output tax liability of the taxpayers. The GSTR-3B auto-fill facility helps to make the editing work possible. However, the taxpayers cannot make changes in the value of the outward supplies once they submit the form. You should ensure any changes or corrections while filing GSTR-1.