This article explains the purpose and the operational procedure on how to use eway bill API interface to generate, update, cancel or reject e-way bills and also covers the benefits and the different use cases.
Before we start, it is important to know what exactly APIs are and how do APIs work?
API as we call them stands for Application Programming Interface. An API is an intermediary interface that allows two separate applications to communicate with each other. In other words, an API is basically the messenger that delivers your request to the provider and sends back the response to you.
Often developers don’t write codes from the scratch, instead they use APIs to build a functional application. Therefore, a good API makes it a lot easier for a developer to write a program.
What is an E-Way Bill API Interface?
E-Way Bill API is an interface which enables a taxpayer or the transporter to automate their E-Way Bill processes. Using E-Way Bill APIs, a software can directly interact with the NIC server with commands such as generate e-way bills, take bulk actions, update part b, cancel or reject. The API interface acts as an intermediary between the taxpayer system and the NIC system by sending and receiving data.
E-Way Bill APIs are available in simple REST and SOAP format which accepts JSON & XML payload respectively to communicate between both the systems.
Sources to Avail E-Way Bill APIs
When thinking of automating the e-way bill process, it is important to select the right service provider. Since the choice will decide whether the project will be a success or a failure. Provider can be shortlisted on a range of criterion, such as breath of APIs available, support in preferred programming language, security features and examples of the successful integrations by the service provider. Cost can be one of the criterion but should not be the focus if provider fails other important criteria.
- NIC E-Way Bill API – These APIs are developed by National Informatics Centre, an organization under Government of India. To avail these E-Way Bill APIs, the taxpayer has to meet certain conditions like:
- The taxpayer or transporter should have automated invoice generation system.
- A taxpayer or a transporter should generate at least 1000 e-way bills per day on the e-way bill system.
- A taxpayer should have SSL or TSL enabled domain name for interface.
- The taxpayer or transporter should have static IP address.
- The taxpayer’s automated system should be modified to exchange the data with e-way bill system.
- The taxpayer or the transporter system should do thorough testing on pre-production site with at least 200 activities.It is important to note that these are just the plain vanilla E-Way Bill APIs made available by NIC. These APIs are difficult to integrate and might not be suitable for most of the companies.
- Masters India E-Way Bill API – NIC has given access of their APIs to GST Suvidha Providers which are appointed by GSTN, and Masters India is one of them. Masters India E-Way Bill APIs are easily available to taxpayers and transporters without any pre-requisite. Masters India also provides proper documentation and extended support for quick integration.
Who can use E-Way Bill APIs?
- Enterprises – Any enterprise looking to automate the entire e-way bill process can integrate E-Way Bill APIs in their ERPs such as SAP, ORACLE or NAVISION, etc. An automated e-way bill system for a taxpayer will reduce work, ensure compliance and increase efficiency.
- Transporters/ Logistics Companies – Non-compliance for the transporter can be very costly given that it can damage his relationship with his customers. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense to automate e-way bill process and benefit from 100% compliance and better staff productivity. Automation also ensures dispatch happens as per agreed schedule.
- Developers – Using Masters India E-Way Bill APIs, a business can create their own stand-alone e-way bill software or build such functionality within their Accounting/ ERP solutions.
What are the benefits of E-Way Bill API?
Taxpayer can enjoy the following benefits after integrating E-Way Bill API with their systems:
- API integration with the taxpayer system will lead to automation of overall e-way bill process which will eliminate manual intervention, reduce human cost and increase efficiency.
- APIs removes the scope of mistakes because of manual data entry.
- Using EWB APIs the taxpayer can avoid duplicity or double entries of invoices
- APIs let any developer or taxpayer to customize e-way bill system as per the business functional requirement.
List of E-Way Bill API Services
|S. No.||E-Way Bill API Services||E-Way Bill API Service Details|
|1||Authenticate||This helps the taxpayer to authenticate/validate with E-Way Bill API system using the credential (Login Id and password) provided to access all other APIs|
|2||Generate E-Way Bills||EWay Bill API helps the taxpayer to generate the e-way bill.|
|3||Update Part-B/ Vehicle Number for E-Way Bill||In case of transshipment or change in transport vehicle one can easily update new vehicle number (part-B) for the e-way Bill|
|4||Generate Consolidate E-Way Bill||EWay Bill API helps the taxpayer to generate a consolidated e-way bill in case he is carrying consignments of the different supplier.|
|5||Cancel E-Way Bill||Using this API the taxpayer can cancel the e-Way Bill, in a case when the e-way bill is either wrongly generated or purchase order is cancelled.|
|6||Reject E-Way Bill||This API helps the taxpayer to reject the e-Way Bill, generated by others on your GSTIN, if the EWB so generated does not belong to that respective taxpayer.|
|7||Get e-Way Bill||One can swiftly get the e-way bill details based on EWB Number if the requestor is a supplier or recipient or transporter.|
|8||Get e-way bills assigned for transportation – for a day||By this API the transporter can quickly get the list of e-way bills assigned to them for a particular day so as to maintain the transporting network.|
|9||Get e-way bills assigned for transportation – by GSTIN||Using this API the taxpayer can get the list of e-way bills assigned for transportation by simply entering the GSTIN. This can be used by the transporter for Updating Part-B of EWB-01 Form.|
|10||Get e-way bills generated by other party||This API helps the taxpayer to get the list of e-way bills generated by other parties on their name based on generated date so that they can reject or take necessary action in a case if that e-way bill does not belong to that particular taxpayer.|
|11||Get Consolidated E-Way Bills||The taxpayer can get the consolidated e-Way Bill details based on consolidated EWB Number, generated by the taxpayer.|
|12||Update transporter||This API helps the transporter to update or assign the e-way bill to another transporter so that he can update Part-B for undisturbed movement of the consignment(s).|
|13||Re-generate Cons. E-way bill||Gives freedom to the taxpayer to re-generate the Consolidated e-way bill in the case if the transportation details|
|For example Change in the vehicle due to the break-down.|
|14||Extend E-Way Bill Validity||Through E-Way Bill API one can quickly extend the validity of the e-way bill in a case when the validity is expiring before reaching the destination.|
|15||Get tax payer details||One can easily get the taxpayer details by just entering the GSTIN.|
|16||Get Enrolled Transporter||This API provides the details of the transporter enrolled for the particular transit.|
|17||Get HSN code||By this API the taxpayer can get the HSN code for the goods and services and their prescribed GST rate.|
|18||Get Error list||This enables the taxpayer to get all the error codes passed by above-mentioned APIs.|