GST registration is mandatory* for businesses that have a turnover of more than INR 40 lakhs (INR 10 lakhs for North-Eastern and hilly states). In some cases, the turnover criteria is not applicable. That means some businesses have to be GST registered irrespective of their turnover.
When a business applies for GST registration, an Application Reference Number (ARN) is received. The process usually takes 12-15 days, and the progress can be tracked online through the GST portal.
To check the GST registration application status, you can:
Step 1: Visit the GST portal.
Step 2: Here, under ‘Services’, select ‘Registration’ and then click on ‘Track Application Status’.
Step 3: Enter the ARN and click on ‘Search’.
Step 4: Based on the status of the GST registration application, the screen will display one of the following messages:
- Provisional – This message occurs when the registration application has not been filed yet, but a Provisional ID has been allotted.
- Pending for Verification – This message appears when the registration application has been filed, but the verification is yet to be completed.
- Validation against Error – When there is a mismatch/discrepancy in the PAN details provided, this message occurs.
- Migrated – This message appears when the application for migration to GST is successfully accepted.
- Cancelled – If the GST registration has been cancelled, the status will show ‘Cancelled’.